Sunday, September 22, 2013

Two Weeks...

With only two weeks until I leave for Denver, I have been reflecting a lot on how my past experiences have prepared me for this next challenge. While I have done many service related projects through Church and challenged myself when moving to New Orleans and spending 6 months in South Africa, I don't think I have even done something that will test me as physically, mentally and spiritually as the next 10 months will. I am beyond excited but also scared.

I just finished watching this video of my cousin Kirsten sharing her tragic and inspiring story of losing the love of her life (my cousin Alex) and getting through it with God's help. While I am still in the midst of my spiritual journey, I cannot help but to find strength in her words. I am so proud to be tied to such a strong and brave woman. I look up to her in so many ways and hope I can live by her example, especially during my time in AmeriCorps.

After Alex died, Kirsten was cleaning out his office and found a post-it with a verse from 1 Chronicles that Alex must have used to get him through tough days.

Be strong and courageous and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. 1 Chronicles 28:20


This verse has become very special to all of us who knew Alex. It has also given us all a tool to get through the pain of losing him and the strength to carry on through all the challenges life throws at us. Through the next 10 months I hope I can live up to the wise words Alex loved...Be strong and courageous and do the work.

My cousin Clayton's tattoo for Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment